"RAMSHOLT, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S.E. of Hadleigh, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Woodbridge. It is a station on the Hadleigh railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the navigable river Deben, where is a dock. In the neighbourhood are ruins of an old seat of the Peytons and Uffords. The great tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £453, and there are 16 acres of impropriate glebe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £50, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a round tower. The register dates from 1682. Mrs. C. Cripps is lady of the manor, and one of the chief landowners."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)