"REDLINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S.E. of Eye, its post town, and 7 E. of Fenningham railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. At a farm in the neighbourhood are traces of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by Manasses, Earl of Guisnez, or Ghisness, in 1120, and dedicated to St. Andrew. Its revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £81 2s. 5d. The site afterwards passed to the Bedingfields. The soil consists of a rich loam. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £251. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £71. The church, which was formerly a chapel to the abovementioned nunnery, is an ancient structure, with a low tower. The register dates from 1740, the earlier one having been destroyed. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum, which is derived from town estate. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)