"RENDLESHAM, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Wickham-Market, its post town, and 4½ N.E. of Woodbridge. The village, which is small and irregularly built, was formerly a market town. In the Saxon times, it was the seat of Redwald and other East Anglian kings. After the Norman conquest it was held by Fitz-Otho, from whom it passed to the Furneux, Spencers, Hamiltons, and other families, and subsequently to the Thellussons, to whom it gives the title of baron in the. Irish peerage. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £480, and there are 53 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £380, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is an ancient structure with a tower. The interior contains monuments to the Rendlesham family. The register dates from 1681. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a free school, chiefly supported by Lord Rendlesham, who is lord of the manor. Rendlesham Hall is the principal residence. Dr. Leonard Maws, Bishop, of Bath and Wells, was born here. Camden states that an ancient Saxon crown was dug up here, weighing about 60 ounces, but was sold and melted down."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)