"REYDON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Southwold, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the coast, on the river Blyth, on which is a quay, where coal is imported, and corn and bark exported. It was formerly a market town, and has several small vessels belonging to the port. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £410, and the vicarial for one of £218, with a glebe of 43 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure with a lofty tower. The register dates from 1686. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum. Reydon House is the principal residence. Above the quay was Wolsey's Bridge, said to have been built by the cardinal."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Southwold Cemetery, E side of CofE-Wangford Road, Cemetery
- St Margaret, Wangford Road, Church of England
- Churches in Reydon:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Reydon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Reydon has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.