"RICKINGHALL-INFERIOR, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.W. of Diss, 5 W. of Mellis railway station, and a quarter of a mile S.W. of Botesdale, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The road from Bury St. Edmund's to Norwich runs through the village. The tithes of the two parishes, Inferior and Superior, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,040; and the glebe contains 24 acres. The living is a rectory* consolidated with that of Rickinghall-Superior, in the diocese of Norwich, joint value £850. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a circular tower, the upper part of which is octagonal. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum. There is a National school. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. G. H. Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)