"RICKINGHALL-SUPERIOR, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.W. of Diss, 8 N.E. of Ixworth, and three-quarters of a mile S.W. of Botesdale, its post town. The village, which is situated on the road from Norwich to Bury St. Edmund's, is wholly agricultural. The glebe consists of 15 acres. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Rickinghall-Inferior, in the diocese of Norwich, joint value £850. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower, and has a remarkable S. porch. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum. G. H. Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor. There is a National school for girls."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)