"RINGSHALL, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 5 miles from Stowmarket, its post town, and 48 S.W. of Needham Market railway station. The village, which is straggling, is wholly agricultural. The soil is chiefly clayey. The framework of the Royal Exchange, built by Sir Thomas Gresham, was made here and in the adjoining parish of Battisford. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £562 10s., and there are 93 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £505, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, has a square tower, the upper part of which has been damaged by lightning. W. Adair, Esq., is lord of the manor. Fossils of the Saurian and other extinct species have been found here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)