"RISBY, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 1 mile N. of the Saxham railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the high road from Bury St. Edmund's to Newmarket, and is chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600, and there are 21 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Fornham, in the diocese of Ely, value £750, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient structure, with a round tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains tablets to the Danby, Wastell, and Spark families; also a carved screen. It was newly pawed in 1842. The parochial charities produce about £38 per annum. There is a Sunday-school. Sir T. R. Gage, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)