"RUMBURGH, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Halesworth, its post town, and 6 S. of Bungay. The village is straggling and chiefly agricultural. On a farm are traces of a Benedictine cell to Holme Abbey, founded at the Conquest by Stephen Earl of Bretagne, and suppressed in 1528, when its revenue was given to Cardinal Wolsey towards the endowment of his college at Ipswich. The land is well cultivated, and the soil clayey. The living is a perpetual curacy with the vicarage of St. Michael's, South Elmham, annexed, in the diocese of Norwich, joint value £130. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, once belonged to the monastery, and is an ancient edifice with a low square tower. The parochial charities produce £43 in town estate, of which £6 goes to a Sunday-school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)