"RUSHBROOKE, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the E. side of the river Lark. The manor formerly belonged to the Abbey of Bury, and came to the Jermyns, of whom Henry, Charles II.'s lord chamberlain, married Queen Henrietta Maria. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Bradfield, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of T. Badby, which bears date 1583; also tombs of the Jermyns, and tablets of the Davers and Moyle families. Over the communion table is a stained window. The charities comprise Daver's almshouses, and Lord Jermyn's almshouses, built in 1700. There are besides several male charities. Rushbrooke Hall is an ancient moated quadrangular pile, built at different periods, the E. wing being of King John's time, and the W. wing of Elizabeth's, who was entertained here by the Jermyns in 1578. It is situated in a well-wooded park. It is a meet for the Suffolk hounds."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)