"RUSHMERE, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 5½ S.W. of Wangford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a sequestered valley. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Sandpits exist in the neighbourhood. The land is divided between arable and pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £210, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The living is a rectory* in-the diocese of Norwich, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, or to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a thatched roof and a round tower containing two bells. The church has recently been thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1719. There is a parochial school for both sexes entirely supported by the rector."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)