"SHADINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Wangford, its post town, 4 S. of Beccles, and 6 N.E. of Halesworth. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £6 14s., and the rectorial for one of £303, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £264. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a tower containing one bell. The register dates from 1539. Shadingfield Hall is situated in well-wooded grounds. John Garden, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)