"SHELLAND, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 3½ miles N.W. of Stowmarket, its post town and railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Gipping, and is wholly agricultural. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £125. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £40. The church was rebuilt in 1767. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)