"SHELLEY, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Hadleigh, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Bret, and is wholly agricultural. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £62. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £72. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a tower containing five bells. Mrs. Cripps is lady of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)