"SHIMPLING, (or Shimplingthorne), a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 7 miles S. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 4½ N.W. of Lavenham. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Stour, and is wholly agricultural. It includes several estates with manorial rights, as Chadacre Hall, the ancient seat of the Plampin family; Shimpling Thorn, of the Fiskes; and Shimpling and Gifford's Halls, the property of Melford Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600, and the glebe comprises 83 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. George. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. Chadacre Hall is the principal residence.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)