"SHOTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 10 miles S.E. of Ipswich, its post town, and 2 from Harwich. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Orwell and Stour, near the ferry to Harwich. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and a brisk trade is done in stone. The land is chiefly arable, with some pastures on the banks of the Orwell. The surface is undulating, and the soil of various qualities. There was formerly a hamlet, called Kirketon, which once gave name to the entire parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £570, and the glebe comprises 54 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £604. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated on an eminence. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, of recent erection."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)