"SIBTON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 1½ mile N.W. of Yoxford, and 5 miles N.W. of Saxmundham. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Badingham, and is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common. The parish comprises the hamlet of Sibton-Green. In the vicinity are traces of a Cistercian abbey, founded by William de Cayneto, or Cheney, about 1-150, and valued at the Dissolution at £250 15s. 7d. The living is a vicarage* with the perpetual curacy of Peasenhall annexed, in the diocese of Norwich, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, and contains three brasses of the Chapmans, bearing date from 1574. The parochial charities produce about £93 per annum, £28 of which go to Scrivener's free school, founded in 1719. Sibton Park is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)