"SOMERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 5½ miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 2½ S.W. of the Claddon railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £245. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1570. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, realised from town land. The Independents and Baptists have each a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Somersham:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Somersham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.