"SOMERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 5½ miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 2½ S.W. of the Claddon railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £245. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1570. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, realised from town land. The Independents and Baptists have each a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Somersham:
- St Mary, Church Lane, Church of England
- Chapel, Chapel Lane, Particular Baptist
- Chapel, Ipswich Road-Offton Place, Primitive Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Somersham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Somersham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview