"SOMERTON, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.W. of Sudbury railway station, 7 N.E. of Clare, and 9 S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Stour, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £207. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a tower containing four bells. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. J. G. W. Poley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)