"SOTHERTON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Halesworth, 7 S. of Beccles, and 2 N.W. of Wangford, its post town. The. village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Blyth, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Uggeshall, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)