"SOUTH ELMHAM ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 5 miles S.W. of Bungay, and 5 N.W. of Halesworth, its post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value with that of St. Nicholas annexed, £270. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a circular Norman tower and a beautiful arch at the S. entrance still perfect. The other parts of the church have been rebuilt at various dates. This and the following Elmhams give name to a deanery in the archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich. Sir R. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)