"SOUTH ELMHAM ST. MARGARET, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Halesworth, and 5 E. of Harleston, its post town. The bishops of Norwich had formerly a palace here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value with that of St. Peter annexed, £250, The church is a plain structure, with a Norman arched doorway on the S. side. The parochial estates, producing £70 per annum, are vested in the trustees for charitable uses. Sir R. Adair is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)