"SPROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 1 mile from Bramford railway station. The village is situated on the river Gipping. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The Essex and Suffolk hounds meet in this parish. The Stowmarket and Ipswich navigation passes through the parish, a part of which is within the liberty of Ipswich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £519. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower. The register dates from 1541. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum, and there is an almshouse for two widows, and a National school for both sexes. Boss Hall and the Chantry are the principal residences. The latter, which has recently been much enlarged, is the seat of Sir Fitzroy Kelly, Bart., who is sole landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)