"SPROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 1 mile from Bramford railway station. The village is situated on the river Gipping. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The Essex and Suffolk hounds meet in this parish. The Stowmarket and Ipswich navigation passes through the parish, a part of which is within the liberty of Ipswich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £519. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower. The register dates from 1541. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum, and there is an almshouse for two widows, and a National school for both sexes. Boss Hall and the Chantry are the principal residences. The latter, which has recently been much enlarged, is the seat of Sir Fitzroy Kelly, Bart., who is sole landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Sproughton:
- All Saints, Lower Street-Church Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sproughton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Sproughton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview