"SPROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 1 mile from Bramford railway station. The village is situated on the river Gipping. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The Essex and Suffolk hounds meet in this parish. The Stowmarket and Ipswich navigation passes through the parish, a part of which is within the liberty of Ipswich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £519. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower. The register dates from 1541. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum, and there is an almshouse for two widows, and a National school for both sexes. Boss Hall and the Chantry are the principal residences. The latter, which has recently been much enlarged, is the seat of Sir Fitzroy Kelly, Bart., who is sole landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Sproughton:
- All Saints, Lower Street-Church Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sproughton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Sproughton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.