"ST. JOHN BAPTIST STANTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Ixworth, its post town, and 9 miles from Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stanton All Saints, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £983. The church is dedicated to St. John. The parochial charities, belonging to this and the adjoining parish of All Saints, produce about £114 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Rev. George Bidwell. The Wesleyans have a chapel.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)