ST. JOHN BAPTIST STANTON
"ST. JOHN BAPTIST STANTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Ixworth, its post town, and 9 miles from Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stanton All Saints, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £983. The church is dedicated to St. John. The parochial charities, belonging to this and the adjoining parish of All Saints, produce about £114 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Rev. George Bidwell. The Wesleyans have a chapel.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in St John Baptist Stanton:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St John Baptist Stanton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which St John Baptist Stanton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.