ST. JOHN BAPTIST STANTON
"ST. JOHN BAPTIST STANTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Ixworth, its post town, and 9 miles from Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stanton All Saints, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £983. The church is dedicated to St. John. The parochial charities, belonging to this and the adjoining parish of All Saints, produce about £114 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Rev. George Bidwell. The Wesleyans have a chapel.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in St John Baptist Stanton:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St John Baptist Stanton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which St John Baptist Stanton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview