ST. MARY BURES
"ST. MARY BURES, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, but extending also into the hundred of Hinckford, in the county of Essex, 5 miles to the S. of Sudbury. It is situated on the banks of the river Stour, over which there is a bridge, and is a station on the Sudbury branch of the Great Eastern railway. The coronation of Edmund, King of East Anglia, is said by some writers to have taken place here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, worth £273, in the patronage of 0. Hanbury, Esq. The church, which is situated in Suffolk, is dedicated to St. Mary. It is an ancient building, and contains several interesting old monuments, among which are an effigy of one of the Cornards, and a monument to Sir Richard Waldegrave, who died in 1400. The steeple was destroyed by a thunderstorm. The parochial charities produce about £10 a year.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in St Mary Bures:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bures area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which St Mary Bures has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.