ST. MARY BURES
"ST. MARY BURES, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, but extending also into the hundred of Hinckford, in the county of Essex, 5 miles to the S. of Sudbury. It is situated on the banks of the river Stour, over which there is a bridge, and is a station on the Sudbury branch of the Great Eastern railway. The coronation of Edmund, King of East Anglia, is said by some writers to have taken place here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, worth £273, in the patronage of 0. Hanbury, Esq. The church, which is situated in Suffolk, is dedicated to St. Mary. It is an ancient building, and contains several interesting old monuments, among which are an effigy of one of the Cornards, and a monument to Sir Richard Waldegrave, who died in 1400. The steeple was destroyed by a thunderstorm. The parochial charities produce about £10 a year.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in St Mary Bures:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bures area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which St Mary Bures has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview