"STANSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 6½ miles N. W. of Sudbury, its post town, and 10 S. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £247. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum. E. S. Bence, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)