"STOKE-BY-CLARE, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S.W. of Clare. Sudbury is its post town. The village is situated on the N. bank of the navigable river Stour. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £77. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is an ancient structure, and once formed an old priory. It contains four brasses, bearing date from 1609. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £84 per annum, of which £8 go to Brown's almshouses. There is a National school for both sexes, including infants. A modern house now stands on the site of Stoke College, which was once the seat of Elwes, the well-known miser, who died worth £800,000; and another member of the same family starved himself to death, though worth £100,000."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Stoke by Clare:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stoke by Clare area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Stoke by Clare has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.