"STOKE-BY-NAYLAND, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 1½ mile N.E. of Nayland, and 5 miles E. of Bares railway station. Colchester is its post town. The village, which was formerly a market town, is situated near the river Stour. The parish contains the chapelry of Leavenheath, and had a monastery endowed by the Saxon Earl of Algar, traces of which are still existing. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £278. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells. There is also a district church at Leavenheath, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £56. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum, exclusive of some almshouses. £8 go towards Lady Windsor's hospital. There is a National school for both sexes. Tendring Hall is the principal residence."
"LEAVENHEATH, a village in the parish of Stoke by Nayland, hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Nayland, and 7 from Colchester. It is situated in the valley of the Stour. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, and in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern edifice."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)