"STONEHAM ASPALL, a parish and post town in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N.E. of Needham Market railway station, and 11 from Ipswich. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £650. The church, dedicated to St. Lambert, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and a peal of ten bells. The interior contains effigies of the Wingfields, of Broughton Hall, and two brasses bearing date 1574; the chancel has a stained window. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £175 per annum, which go to Metcalf's school, poor, church, &c. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school is held. Broughton Hall, once occupied by the Wingfield family, is now a farmhouse. Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)