"STOW UPLAND, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 1 mile from Stowmarket, its post town and railway station, and 13 miles from Ipswich. The soil is heavy, but productive. There are chemical manure works. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Stowmarket, in the diocese of Norwich. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels. There is a Sunday-school. Upland Hall is the principal residence. Lord Ashburnham is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stowupland area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Stow Upland to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.