"STRATFORD ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 6 miles S.E. of Hadleigh, 5 N.W. of Manningtree, and 7 N.E. of Colchester, its post town. The village is considerable, and situated on the river Stour, here crossed by a bridge, and near the Roman station Ansam, on the way to Caistor. The Essex and Suffolk hounds meet in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £296, in the patronage of the duchy of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tomb of E. Mors, bearing date 1430. The parochial charities produce about £27 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a parochial library. The principal residence is Stratford Hall. A fair is held on the 22nd June."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)