"STUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 7½ miles S.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Manningtree. The village is situated on the river Stour, which is navigable for vessels of considerable burden, and here divides this county from Essex. At a farm in the vicinity are the ruins of Stutton Hall. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £550. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains the brass of a priest bearing date 1413, and several monuments, some of which are of the Jermy family. The register dates from 1645. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, erected in 1838. Stretton House, Crow Hall, and Alton Hall are the principal residences."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)