"STUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Sampford, county Suffolk, 7½ miles S.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Manningtree. The village is situated on the river Stour, which is navigable for vessels of considerable burden, and here divides this county from Essex. At a farm in the vicinity are the ruins of Stutton Hall. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £550. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains the brass of a priest bearing date 1413, and several monuments, some of which are of the Jermy family. The register dates from 1645. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, erected in 1838. Stretton House, Crow Hall, and Alton Hall are the principal residences."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Stutton Green, Church of England
- Churches in Stutton:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stutton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Stutton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.