"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Woodbridge, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated at the ferry over the navigable river Deben to Woodford. A portion of the land is in common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £299. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is old and much dilapidated. The register dates from 1665. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes erected in 1856. The Baptists have a chapel. Sutton Hall and Wood Hall are the principal residences. T. Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)