"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Woodbridge, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated at the ferry over the navigable river Deben to Woodford. A portion of the land is in common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £299. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is old and much dilapidated. The register dates from 1665. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes erected in 1856. The Baptists have a chapel. Sutton Hall and Wood Hall are the principal residences. T. Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- All Saints, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Sutton:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sutton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Sutton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview