"SWILLAND, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.E. of Ipswich, its post town, and 5 from Claydon railway station. The village is small. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £227, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is old, with a Norman arch. The register dates from 1678. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Mrs. Cowell is lady of the manor. There is a National school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)