"TATTINGSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 5½ miles S.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 1 mile E. from Bentley railway station. The village is situated on a branch of the river Stour. The Samford union poorhouse is in this parish. On the estate called the Place is a thick deposit of marine shells. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £460. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower and five bells. The parochial charities consist in two poorhouses. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The principal residence is Tattingstone Place, situated in a well-wooded park watered by large fish ponds. It was formerly the seat of the Beaumont family. In the vicinity is a crag in which many fossils have been discovered. T. B. Western, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)