"THEBERTON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Saxmundham, its post town. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on an eminence. The parish includes the hamlet of East Bridge and the village of Potter's-Street. The surface is generally flat. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £400, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains a monument to the wife of the late Rev. C. Montague Doughty, of Theberton, at whose expense the church was restored. There is a National school for both sexes. The principal residence is Theberton Hall. The devisees in trust under the will of the late Rev. C. M. Doughty are lords of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)