"THELNETHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.W. of Botesdale, and 6 W. of the Diss railway station. The village is situated on the river Brandon, or Lesser Ouse, which here divides the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. The wastelands were enclosed under an Act obtained in 1821. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £508. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, contains a monument to Henry Bokenham. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum, besides a fuel allotment. There is a National school. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., is lord of the manors of Eye and Thelnetham."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)