"THORNDON ALL SAINTS, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S. of Eye, its post town, and 5 E. of Finningham railway station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £600. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built by Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, in 1358, and its chancel has recently been restored. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £152 per annum, including town estates, which realise £147 per annum. There is a reformatory for boys, established by Sir E. 0. Kerrison, Bart. Hestley Hall is the principal residence. F. Hayward, Esq., is lord of the manors of Thorndon and Hestley Hall, and N. C. Barnardiston, Esq., of the manor of Little Thorndon."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)