"THORPE-BY-IXWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 1½ mile N.W. of Ixworth, its post town, and 5 miles N.W. of Thurston railway station. The manor formed part of the endowment of a moated priory for Black Canons, founded by Gilbert de Blount in 1110, and at the Dissolution granted with the priory to Richard Codyngton. The surface in some parts is wet and fenny. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £21. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)