"THURSTON, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 94 from Stowmarket. It is a station on the Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway. Near the railway station is Thedwestry Hill. The soil is light, with gravel and sand pits. The living is a vic, in the diocese of Ely, value £250. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains tablets of the Stedman, Bright, and Smith families, and two memorial windows of the Misses Blake. The parochial charities produce about £52 per annum. There are two schools and a Sunday-school. The principal residences are Nether Hall, Thurston House, and Thurston Cottage. W. C. Bassett, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)