"TOSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1½ mile W. of Elmswell railway station, and 7 miles E. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village is situated on the road from Bury to Ipswich. Here was formerly a mansion, once the residence of Lords North and Grey. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £210. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some old carved benches for free seats, and has lately been thoroughly restored. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, realised from poors' estate. P. Huddleston, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Tostock:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tostock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Tostock has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview