"TOSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1½ mile W. of Elmswell railway station, and 7 miles E. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village is situated on the road from Bury to Ipswich. Here was formerly a mansion, once the residence of Lords North and Grey. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £210. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some old carved benches for free seats, and has lately been thoroughly restored. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, realised from poors' estate. P. Huddleston, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)