"TOSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1½ mile W. of Elmswell railway station, and 7 miles E. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village is situated on the road from Bury to Ipswich. Here was formerly a mansion, once the residence of Lords North and Grey. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £210. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some old carved benches for free seats, and has lately been thoroughly restored. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, realised from poors' estate. P. Huddleston, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Tostock:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tostock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Tostock has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.