"TUDDENHAM ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 34 miles S.E. of Mildenhall, its post town, and 3 N. of Higham railway station. The village is on an eminence. A large portion of the land is in heath. In the vicinity are the ruins of an ancient abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £284. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1563. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes, founded and endowed by John Cockerton in 1723, which has recently been rebuilt. The Baptists have a chapel."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)