"WALBERSWICK, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 1½ mile S. of Southwold, its post town, and 8 miles from Yoxford. The village is situated near the mouth of the river Blythe, which separates it from Southwold. It was formerly a place of greater importance than at present, and had an extensive fishing trade, but was burnt in the years 1583, 1633, and 1683. A large portion of the land is in heath and marsh. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Norwich, value £41. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built in the 16th century, but is now a ruin. There are day and Sunday schools. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)