"WALPOLE, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S.W. of Halesworth, its post town, and 8 from Saxmundham. The village is situated near the river Blythe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, value £80, in the patronage of the Church Patronage Society. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is an endowed free school. The Independents have a chapel, which is the oldest in the county. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor. Fairs are held in Whitsun week and on Michaelmas day."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)