"WENHASTON, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 1½ mile S.E. of Halesworth. It comprises the hamlet of Mells, and is bounded on the N.E. by the navigable river Blythe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains monuments to the Leman family, who formerly had a seat here. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and a school partially endowed. The charities produce about £75 per annum, including £55 from town estate, now applied to the church."
"MELLS, a hamlet in the parish of Wenhaston, hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Halesworth. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Margaret."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)