"WESTHALL, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 3½ miles N.E. of Halesworth. The village was formerly held by Hubert de Burgh. The principal residence is Westhall Hall, where once lived Edmund Bohun, the political writer and antiquary. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains an old font, with the emblems of the seven sacraments and the transfiguration carved on the sides. There is a school, with a small endowment. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Church Hill, Church of England
- Churches in Westhall:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Westhall area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Westhall has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.