"WESTHORPE, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 7 miles N. of Stowmarket. The manor, at the time of the Domesday survey, belonged to Gilbert de Blind, and subsequently came to the De la Poles and Brandons. The Hall, formerly the seat of Charles, Duke of Brandon, was taken down about the middle of the last century. The village was formerly a market town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, contains some old stained glass, and many monuments. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)