"WESTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 2 miles W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town and nearest railway station. The surface is hilly, and the substratum chalk and gravel. The Bury and Newmarket branch line of the Great Eastern railway passes through the parish, but has no station. There are malting houses and brick-kilns. The old church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, is now in ruins, but in 1836 the new church of St. Mary was erected. J. Lee, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)