"WETHERDEN, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, and 1½ mile S.E. of Elmswell station, on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small scattered village, and has remains of the old scat of the Sulyards. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £500, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a carved oak roof, and contains several brasses, an antique font, some old stalls, the arms of the Sulyards, and a monument to one of the Miles family. The register dates from 1538. There are a Baptist chapel and a village school. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum, including £5, the endowment for a Sunday-school. Lord Thurlow is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Wetherden Baptist Church, Elmswell Road, Baptist
- Providence Chapel, Chapel Cottage-Kates Lane, Particular Baptist
- St Mary, Church Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Wetherden area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Wetherden to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.