"WETHERDEN, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, and 1½ mile S.E. of Elmswell station, on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small scattered village, and has remains of the old scat of the Sulyards. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £500, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a carved oak roof, and contains several brasses, an antique font, some old stalls, the arms of the Sulyards, and a monument to one of the Miles family. The register dates from 1538. There are a Baptist chapel and a village school. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum, including £5, the endowment for a Sunday-school. Lord Thurlow is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)